Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Of Pollens and Petals


'For,
"All men are like grass,
and all their glory is like the flowers of the field;
the grass withers and the flowers fall,
but the word of the Lord stands forever." And this is the word that was preached to you.'

-1 Peter 1:24-25-







Due to some unforeseen circumstances, I had to once again divide the photos taken with my 450D and my friend's (Kiu--thanks a million!) 350D in respective post. In this post, I'm going to emphasize mainly on flowers and several techniques which may come in handy if you plan to do macro (close-up) photography.


It all began on a beautiful Tuesday morning when the sunlight was just at its right brilliance and the thick clouds hovering over my campus. 'This is the best time', I thought. So I grabbed my 450D and ran down from my room, hoping to capture 'rare' photos of my campus. I walked the whole campus and took these (There are lots more, of course, other than flowers, and I'll upload them in my later posts):





Taken with 18-55mm IS Canon lens f 3.5-5.6





The photos below are taken with a Canon 350D (borrowed):




Taken with 18-200mm IS Canon USM lens



Some useful guides for macro photography:



1) Try to get a macro lens with IS (Image Stabilizer), combo with a high mega pixed SLR.

2) Choose an ideal time of the day to take shots. The best time is usually early in the morning when the sunlight is just right, not too bright and not too dim.

3) Get as close as possible to the target, depending on your lens' focus range.

4) Watch out for your ISO, exposure, shutter priority, photo mode (e.g. portrait), and most importantly, your aperture setting. A wider aperture (decreases in number e.g. f 2.8) gives you a blurry background, and vice versa for a smaller aperture.

5) Hold your SLR as stable as possible, a tripod is best used here.

6) Select the best angle to capture your target.


Please feel free to leave any comments or ideas.


Till then, I'll update my blog once I've got the time (though on holiday, there are activities going on). Take care and God bless.


Jesus loves you! :)





3 comments:

Xandamator said...

great capture!!
keep it up..

oh ya, so have you planned on whether to return to AIMST for your degree couse??

Max Wong said...

dyThanks man! :)

Still under planning, may and may not...

Max Wong said...

sorry for the 'dy' in front of thanks...typing error..