Monday, June 15, 2009

Tackle, Pass, and Shoot


"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." Matthew 6:33







It's been weeks now since I updated my blog. Life's has never been so busy. Everyday is like a new chapter in a story book for me. Through these, I've not only gain experiences (lessons also), I realize and thank God for His sufficient Grace for me, my family, and people around me. Thanksgiving is not for a special occasion only (Thanksgiving Day), but for each day, we should continue to give our praises and honour and glory unto His Holy Name- Jesus Christ.


Moving on, here's an 'introductory' photo taken by me using my Canon 450D:


Canon EOS 450D, Shutter Priority mode (Tv), Shutter Speed: 1/200 per sec. , in-built flash On, 55mm focal length, aperture f/5.6, Exposure compensation: +2 step



Shutter priority is the setting where you set your desired shutter speed and the camera automatically set the aperture for you. It is peculiarly useful in sports photography, where precision and timing are essential. However, it is still recommended that you go full-time manual when you are confident. Don't forget also to put your shots to continuous to capture a series of dramatic moves.


Here are some of my early shots that I took during a sports event held in my campus (about two months ago when I'm still a newbie to my SLR, that's the reason on why I used the sports auto mode for the photos below):




Practices before the big day for my batch's basketball team




Try setting your camera's (best on dSLR) shutter speed to 1/60 per sec. and focus (and follow) on the target using the viewfinder to obtain a sharp looking target but a 'dash' background (such as above), indicating speed and movement.



During the competition


I also grabbed the opportunity to snatch a few shots during the soccer competition held on the same day:



The kit lens I used (Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS) in the above photos is not really suitable for sports photography as its zoom range is not narrow enough. A Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS or f/4.0 USM (if possible, find a lens that has a smaller angle of view from 300mm-500mm) is more of an ideal choice.



Another tip for sports photography is to capture the moments of athletes during times of resting, winning, or even being in a defeat situation. These moments could be memorable and treasured.




In the coming posts (I'll update when I find the time), I'll upload more photos that I took during the past few weeks.


Till then, take care and God bless.


Jesus loves you! :)





1 comment:

You know who :-) said...

Hey, Maximilian. Nice Shots for everything especially the water droplet. I am glad that I was there with Kirath and Rome to share the moment with you there. I am glad that I still can know about your latest condition here. Do keep in touch and take good care of yourself there. Remember to send my regards to your family. May God bless you and your family everyday.